The department of Transfusion Medicine and blood bank at AIIMS, Rishikesh provides services to support patients in need of blood and blood component therapy, cellular therapy, therapeutic apheresis, and specialized laboratory diagnostics. The department collects whole blood and single donor platelets on voluntary and replacement (from relatives and friends of the patients only) basis. Strict donor selection criteria are followed to ensure good health to the donor and quality blood products. Good manufacturing practices and Drug law are strictly adhered to, ensuring quality in all facets of Transfusion services. All necessary precautions are taken to ensure safest possible blood for the patients.
The endeavour of the department is to supply safest possible blood components. The safety begins with diligent check of donor's medical history and physical examination. The tests for HIV 1 & 2, Hepatitis B & C, Malaria and Syphilis are done using best of technology and methods.
The facility believes that central to an effective & efficient transfusion service is commitment and support at all levels, that includes
- Clearly defined organizational structure that focuses on accountability, authority and responsibility
- Appropriate person with the necessary skills and expertise to ensure quality
- Development of a culture of quality through a management focus on building quality into all activities
- Motivation of staff to ensure their commitment and support for the quality system
Facility & Services
The blood transfusion service is committed to provide the highest possible standards of service to the patients at AIIMS, Rishikesh. The main role of the blood transfusion services is to provide safe and timely blood and blood components to the patients and accurate results of the tests ordered by various departments.
The blood center endeavors that there is an adequate inventory of all blood types and blood components to meet the needs of the patients. The blood center does donor selection, blood collection, component preparation, screening for transfusion – transmitted infections and blood processing. Serologically compatible blood and components are provided to the patients after meticulous pre-transfusion testing as per the standard protocol. The Immunohaematology laboratory provides serological investigations for autoimmune disorders, hemolytic disease of newborn and transfusion reactions.
1. Provision for blood and blood components:
- Packed RBCs
- Random donor Platelets
- Antibody screening and identification
- PNH screening
- HIT screening
- Autologous donation facility
- Therapeutic phebotomy for polycythemia/ hemocromatosis
The Department of Transfusion Medicine, AIIMS, Rishikesh will start with an additional layer of safety against transfusion transmitted infections in testing called Nuclear Amplification Technology (NAT). Apart from running a blood transfusion services, the department will provide therapeutic as well as diagnostics services to the patients.
- Therapeutic Plasmapheresis
- Therapeutic Leukacytapheresis
- Therapeutic Throbocytapheresis
- Therapeutic Red Cell Exchange
- Stem Cell Harvest
- Intra-uterine Transfusion for Hemolytic Disease of fetus and newborn.
- Coagulation studies in bleeding disorders such as Hemophilia.
- Day Care Center for transfusion to Thalassemia patients
Department of Transfusion Medicine,
All India Institute of Medical Sciences,