The role of Microbiology is to provide clinical consultation on investigation, diagnosis & treatment of patients suffering from infectious diseases and for implementing infection control programmes and developing a feasible Antibiotic policy. AIIMSRishikesh has been set up primarily to cater to the needs of the local people of the hilly state of Uttarakhand and other surrounding states. The department of Microbiology came into existence on 19th March 2013 when Dr Pratima Gupta joined as Professor on 19.03.2013.Subsequently three more faculty members joined the department in the month of April 2013. Currently the department has the following faculty members.
- Dr. Pratima Gupta(MD,MAMS,FHM)- Professor
- Dr. NeelamKaistha,(MD)- Additional Professor
- Dr. BalramJi Omar(MD,Dip.Ortho)- Additional Professor
- Dr. Deepjyoti Kalita - Associate Professor
- Dr. Puneet Kumar Gupta Assistant Professor
- Teaching the 2nd Professional MBBS and Nursing students in the various disciplines of Microbiologylike Bacteriology, Virology, Parasitology, Mycology, Immunology& Medical Entomology and providing acumen for interpreting lab results in correlation with clinical presentation.
- Tests to be initiated currently are routine microscopy and rapid serology in diagnostic Bacteriology , Mycology,Virology and Parasitology like Dengue, Malaria,Scrub Typhus ,Bacterial and Fungal meningitis, HBV,HCV,HIV to name a few.
- Automation for culture, identification and detection of drug resistance in Bacteriologyincluding Mycobacteriology and Mycology..
- Advanced molecular techniques for research and diagnosis in Clinical Microbiology.
- To establish a resource center in the field of infectious diseases, surveillance activities,outbreak investigations and diagnostic services.
- Developing a training center for developing and running an effective infection control programme.
- Developing a reference center for locally prevalent but underdiagnosed infectious disease like Rickettsial infections.
Department of Microbiology
All India Institute of Medical Sciences
Professor Pratima Gupta