Department of Ophthalmology
The Department of Ophthalmology provides services for effective diagnosis, treatment and research for eye diseases. It aims to provide good quality patient care to all sections of the society along with teaching and hands on training of undergraduate and postgraduate students. The Department pursues inter-disciplinary research in collaboration with other departments.
The Department currently provides Outpatient services, O.T. services, In patient services and 24×7 emergency services.
Facilities & Services:
- Management of anterior segment disorders.
- Medical retina clinic: posterior segment disorders diagnosis, medical & laser management.
- Glaucoma services (Diagnosis and management of various types of glaucoma with state of the art automated visual field analyser)
- Paediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus services.
- Community outreach services.
- Advanced methods of cataract surgery by phacoemulsification with implantation of foldable intraocular lens.
- Glaucoma surgeries.
- Strabismus (squint) surgeries of all types.
- Oculoplastic surgeries including eyelid and lacrimal surgeries.
- Paediatric Ophthalmic surgeries.
Prof. Sanjeev Kumar Mittal
Professor and Head
M.S. (Ophthalmology), F.I.C.O.
Special interests: Cataract, Community Ophthalmology, Medical Retina
Dr. Ajai Agrawal
M.S. (Ophthalmology), M.A.M.S., F.I.C.S.
Special interest: Glaucoma, Cataract, Paediatric Ophthalmology
Dr. Vinita Gupta
M.S. (Ophthalmology), ICO, MRCOphth, FRCS, FRCOphth2
Special interest: Paediatric Ophthalmology & Strabismus, Glaucoma, Cataract
Special interest: Strabismus, Oculoplasty, Cataract.
Ongoing extramural project (Funded by UCOST):
Screening of ocular diseases and survey of colour blindness in school attending children of Rishikesh.
Ongoing Intramural Research Projects of faculty members –
- Speciality clinics
- Vitreo-retinal surgeries.
- Oculoplasty clinic.
- Neuro-ophthalmology clinic.
- Eye bank and corneal transplantation.
- Early screening of binocular vision anomalies in paediatric population.
- To study role of contrast sensitivity and colour vision as tools for assessment of visual function of diabetics.
- Comparison of clinic based orthoptic therapy with pencil push ups treatment for convergence insufficiency: A Randomized Controlled trial
- Isolation and characterization of bacterial & fungal flora (both commensal and pathogenic) from conjuctival sac of patient with cataract presenting to a tertiary care hospital in the state of Uttrakhand
- Biosocial determinants of strabismus: A hospital based Study
- Alteration in pattern reversal Visual Evoked Potential in children with amblyopia and spherical refractive errors
- Effects of mobile phone usage on different ocular structures.
- Comparison of concentration of Moxifloxacin in aqueous humour of patients undergoing cataract Surgery following topical only and topical plus oral administration.
Contact us: Department of Ophthalmology
All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), Rishikesh.
Uttarakhand Pin No. 249203.
- CME: Childhood blindness on 26.03.2017 held in collaboration with ACOIN.
- CME: Neuro ophthalmology on 18.11.2017.
- World sight day 2016: public awareness programme.
- Glaucoma Awareness week March 2018, organised at AIIMS OPD, outreach camp at Pipalkoti and Narayankoti in two districts of Uttarakhand.
- Proposed CME in August 2018: strabismus update.