The Department of Pathology at AIIMS Rishikesh is located at the A4 and A5 blocks in the second floor of the Medical College building, and the Clinical Pathology and Hematology laboratory is located in B3 block in the first floor of the Hospital building.
Department of Pathology plays two essential roles in the field of medicine, which includes educating the medical students and providing diagnostic services. It is a branch of medicine, which links basic sciences with clinical symptoms and signs. It helps the medical students to understand the basic mechanism and pathophysiology of diseases. In the era of evidence-based medicine Pathology plays a major role in providing a conclusive diagnosis. The diagnostic sub-specialties within this Department include Histopathology, Cytopathology, Hematology, Immunopathology and Clinical Pathology. It also contributes substantially through Clinical Autopsy.
With significant advances in the field of science and various clinical specialties, there have been major breakthroughs in Pathology. It now not only provides diagnosis, but is also an equally sought after diagnostic specialty for theranostic reasons and prognostication of diseases.
FACILITIES & SERVICES
Department of Pathology at AIIMS Rishikesh is committed to offer every essential diagnostic facility for patient care and management, with emphasis on strict quality assurance for every section of the Department. Presently, the Department provides Hematology, Clinical Pathology, Cytology and Histopathology services.
The Hematology and Clinical Pathology servicesinclude complete hemogram,hemoparasite detection, ESR, bone marrow aspiration and biopsy, reticulocyte count, basic coagulation workup, urine routine and microscopic examination and fluid cell counts.
The Cytopathology section provides facility for Fine Needle Aspiration Cytology (FNAC), cervical smear screening, fluid cytologyand cell blocks.
The Histopathology section provides routine histopathology services, special stains (histochemistry) and opinion/ review on outside slides and blocks. Immunohistochemistry has recently been started to provide a comprehensive tissue diagnosis.
The Department is participating in EQAS programmes of NABL accredited laboratories.
- To excel in sub-specialties of Histopathology, Cytopathology, Hematopathology and Clinical Pathology for quality patient care.
- To be able to offer expert consultation for Hematopathology, Cytopathology and Histopathology.
- To teach medical students the basic understanding of disease and relate its importance with clinical findings through an integrated approach.
- To create an environment for encouraging research activities for medical students, residents and faculty.
- To set up a comprehensive immunopathology laboratory to provide facility for immunohistochemistry, immunocytochemistry and immunofluoresence.
- To provide facility for intra-operative diagnosis (frozen section).
- Set up a specialized laboratory for flow cytometricimmunophenotyping of hematolymphoid malignancies, and high performance liquid chromatography (HPLC) for the diagnosis of hemoglobinopathies.
- To set up an advanced diagnostic facility for coagulation and bleeding disorders.
- To set up a specialized hematology laboratory for complete workup of non-neoplastic haematological disorders.
- Establish immunofluorescence laboratory for Dermatopathology and Nephropathology.
- To develop a Molecular Pathology Laboratory to perform fluorescent in-situ hybridization (FISH) and analyses on nucleic acids (DNA or RNA).
- To set up facility for electron microscopy.
- To establish facility of tissue banking for future research purpose.
- To start fellowship and certificate courses to train Pathologists and technicians in various subspecialties of Pathology.
- To contribute actively in translational and clinical research.
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
2nd Floor, A4 and A5 block, Medical College Building,
All India Institute of Medical Sciences,
Virbhadra Marg, RISHIKESH- 249201